Tuesday 4 November 2014

Breastfeeding Mom Graduation Photo Goes Viral


A Breastfeeding

Jacci Sharkey is a 24-year-old mother of two thought it only fitting to thank the university for supporting her and her family, she has juggled motherhood and schoolwork for most of her three and a half years at the University of the Sunshine Coast (USC) in Queensland, Australia.

She sometimes even went to lectures with her baby as u can see in this photo in which she was breastfeeding her then-6-week-old son Alek in her cap and gown, just before the graduation ceremony.

She said:
"I’m extremely proud that with the support of the uni, during my degree I was able to have 2 babies and still finish my degree," Sharkey explained in a note with the Oct. 2 photo. “Thanks USC!”

Now the school can thank her for shining the spotlight on them. Since the university posted her photo on Facebook {see the post here} on Nov. 2, it’s gone viral, with 184,000 likes and more than 5,400 shares.

She also said:
"I thought I’d be really happy if it got 100 likes, and then it’s just gone out of control," the human resources management major, whose other son, Ari, is 20 months old, told Australia’s ABC News. “I never expected it to go crazy!”

Also unexpected was the idea that she had sent it to promote breastfeeding. “It wasn’t a statement [on breastfeeding] or anything like that,” Sharkey insisted. “I would have sent the same picture to the uni had [Alek] had a bottle or a sandwich.”

The thought she wanted to share was “just the fact that I’m a mum, it’s not I’m a breastfeeding mum, just I’m a mum,” she explained. “It was really a message of thanks and that other mums can do it as well.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...